Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I heard the rain still beating continuously on the staircase window..." ~ Jane Eyre



Vignettes from New York City...


I pause at the landing at his gray-colored apartment door. Chords from an electric bass resonate from within; this is the first time I hear him play. I hesitate knocking because I am unsure if he will play for me. New lovers are always vulnerable about their artistry. (Hence, he has yet to read my words on this blog.) Within ten minutes of my standing at his threshold, I am lounging on his Scotch plaid couch with his orange cat beside me, one of us literally purring and the other metaphorically so. Mesmerized, my eyes follow his fingers as he strums his new bass. My irises shift back and forth between his profile and his fingers. He hands me the instrument and I feel vulnerable and unsure what to do. He is a patient teacher, but I am an unfocused student. He asks me a question. I do not hear him. He asks again - where do you want to have dinner? I do not know the answer, nor do I care to give one. I listen to him play again until I tell him to stop. He and I leave to have dinner an hour later.


He wants to take me to an Italian restaurant up on 88th. As we walk up the avenue, I take his hand. I know he is not one for PDA, but I cannot resist. At one point he pulls his hand away to button his polo. I grow sad, wondering if it was an excuse he had to take his hand away - he does not like being affectionate in public. Moments later, he reaches towards my left arm and takes my hand.

I love it when he orders for me. I know that is so anti-feminist ideology, but I cannot help that I enjoy him telling the waiter that we will drink a bottle of a red Barbaresco and that she will have the shrimp and scallops. Later on after we eat, he takes the bottle and pours into my glass: "Drink up, kid."


It is pouring and the sound of the water hitting the pavement is loud in a cacophony of pelting drops. I stand under the awning and watch him dart out into the street without an umbrella. His only protection from the rain is a baseball hat and hoodie, and he whistles sharply as he runs into the thick puddles on the street. The yellow cab stops and the window rolls down; he hands fare to the driver. He motions for me to come as he opens the door for me, but all I want to do is go back upstairs. I run over to him and the cab. We kiss in the rain, hard but not long, and he tells me that he is not going to sleep until I have called him to let him know I was home safe and in bed.


An hour later I expect him to have fallen asleep, but he answers and is wide awake. True to his word...so far he is nothing but true to his word. I fall asleep listening to the rain.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Clearlykels said...

I love romance, especially the way you tell it, Amy. xo

4:55 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Feminist-about-to-explode-cannot-let-men-order-for-us-it-is-blasphemy!

*Pow*

(I exploded.)

hahaha

(I am kidding, Dearest. Glad to hear such nice tales. I think this Irish quote sums up what you deserve:

May flowers always line your path and sunshine light your day.
May songbirds serenade you every step along the way.
May a rainbow run beside you in a sky that's always blue.
And may happiness fill your heart each day your whole life through.

Sincerely,
Your Favorite Quotester

;)

5:56 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Kels ~ Thank you my dear! :) xoxo

Marty ~ Ok, ok, ok. I *promise* that the next time we are out to eat not only will I order for myself, but I will also order for HIM! :-D I love that Irish quote. Want to go to Ireland with me? I feel inspired to hear more quotes over a pint of Guinness. xoxoxo

6:26 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

...man! and he plays an instrument too!
you tell this so beautifully.
may all good things come your way..
xo

7:11 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

OMG, I can picture it perfectly thanks to your words. The hopeless romantic in me longs for the day I have similar feelings again.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~Sigh~ What a lovely read. I love the part about holding hands and reaching for the button. It is wonderful how you notice all the beautiful details, and how you manage to put them down for us to enjoy them with you.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

well, now I am a puddle. ;-) what a super date. Does this guy have any brothers...cousins?? haha.

7:52 AM  
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Glad to see a new post from you. New romance seems to be a real distraction to bloggers these days but I can't think of a better distraction.

9:18 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

Ahhh. It is wonderful to document these stages in your relationship. Beautiful.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Dating an artist. A musician nonetheless. And apparently a romantic. I'm happy for you, a tad Jealous (even though I have a great man) and thrilled for you at the same time!

Blog more often girl!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

A woman who could resist a man she adores- who wants to care for her...to make her feel special by ordering just the right thing that will make her happy- she might as well:
Tell the flowers not to bloom...
the butterflies not to emerge,
ask the taught string on the bass guitar not to vibrate when strummed, tell Jack not to smile when his beloved Aunt walks into the room-

It would be un-natural sister!
Let him cherish you in all the ways he wants to and can.
And be sure to find out how he treats his mom... If he respects her the way he respects you-
Oh...
I'd love him too :)

(sorry for the 2 cents worth of insight here- I couldn't help it! :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

oh, oh, and oh!

i've not read all the comments yet before responding myself, so forgive me if i'm repetitive.

oh, oh, and oh! again.

shall i live vicariously now through this blog?

is this fiction, fact fictionalized, or fact?

does it even matter.

nicely played. play again please.

flap/flap/ sweeping and soaring

11:59 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

i have to add ..

in my girlish youth, i had a thing for musicans.

still do i think.

sigh.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Loving it! However, he is sooo lucky to have grabbed that hand of yours, otherwise I'm not sure what I would have thought!

I'm glad you're back...
xoxo
C

10:17 AM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

How beautiful Miss Amy...Something tells me you will always be happy...

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home