Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Friday, June 22, 2007


"Who talks of cadeaux?" ~ Jane Eyre

The woman looked at me with sympathy.

I had come from the Butter Cooky Bakery branch in Floral Park because they had no chocolate cupcakes this morning. It took me twenty minutes to get back to Manhasset to see if they had those thickly frosted chocolate cupcakes with a maraschino cherry on top that I know he would love for his birthday.

There were none here, either.

Missy always gets cupcakes from this bakery on special occasions, so I inquired as to why there were none, and the woman said they had not been made yet. I told her I had come from the other Butter Cooky and they, too, had none. I then told her I needed a moment to see what else I could get for the occasion and would get back to her in a minute or so.

I had my heart set on these cupcakes, not because they are the most amazing cupcakes in the world (but they are close), but because I have my heart set on him and making his birthday special with specific ideas in my head. I planned the cupcakes way in advance as part of the celebration after dinner tonight, so I suppose I looked quite crestfallen as I perused the delicious looking cakes and tortes.

Just as I was about to get the brownie torte, the woman said to me, "Have a cup of coffee. Stay a while and wait if you can, we will make them right now."

My face lit up and I thanked her profusely. I ordered a cappuccino instead and she gladly made one for me. I gave her a tip as I was paying but she didn't accept it. So I sat with my cappuccino and inhaled the scent of cake as I waited for these cupcakes - cupcakes that I knew were going to be perfect to light with candles and sing Happy Birthday to him as we also opened up a bottle of Prosecco for a midnight celebration.

As she handed the chocolate cupcakes to me twenty five minutes later, I smiled; it confirmed for me that, as always, food is one of the best ways to express one's love. This woman knew how much these cupcakes meant, and I love and appreciate that she went out of her way to help me express my own love.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

You are sweet Amy...to the very core of you! Not sweet like fudge sauce on ice cream- but sweet like clover honey in hot tea, or the pure flavor of a honeysuckle-
Sweet like God intended sweet to be...
nothing artifical at all!

Sigh- I always know that I would adore you like a sister if you were in my day to day life- and what a joy to me to read you and KNOW that there are people like you in the world- even if our paths never cross!
Hugs! Have a lovely party!
:)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love real bakeries - and miss them too..... the scents, the qualtiy of the food.... the memories...

i am sure the birthday rocked ;) too

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so amazing! I think this beautiful story will make his birthday even more special. Enjoy your midnight celebration! ;-)

4:52 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

I hope you had the birthday for "him" that you envisioned, enjoyed the yummy cupcakes...and had a lovely day.
xoxo
C

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope he's worth it.

7:19 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

i'm shutting down my blog for the summer.
hope to see you in the fall..
as a grad student?

8:44 PM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

There's something about cupcakes that make them the perfect treat. There's a bakery in Chicago that I am addicted to, and sometimes when I am out running errands I just have to stop and buy one. Heaven.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Yes, that is a great way to ring in a birthday--chocolate cupcakes at midnight...le sigh. ;-)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

chocolate cupcakes at midnight sounds amazing! What a great idea.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Oh yes...a good old fashioned bakery and a nice cappucino. YUM!

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was the birthday party? And how were the cupcakes? Since your post I have a huge craving for chocolate, but I am on a diet :( I tagged you on my blog!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds like you planned a lovely midnight celebration for your lucky guy! I too had a romantic midnight birthday celebration this year so I know how fun that can be! I am sure it was much appreciated! And my special guy was celebrating moving to a different house...so we celebrated together!

9:18 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Cora ~ I hope our paths do cross one day, because you too are just as sweet as honey on a clover. :)

QG ~ Are there no real bakeries around where you live? My favorite bakeries are the Italian kinds, hands down.

Frumteacher ~ Indeed, it was lovely and yummy and my next post is your tag!

TG ~ Thank you for your sweet thoughts!

Anonymous ~ To know him is to love him...

Foam ~ I will miss you this summer, but understand that you need to take a break. I am still not 100% here, but the time off was good for me.

Shannon ~ Oooo. What is the name of the bakery?

Ryane ~ Nothing beats a good cupcake in the wee hours of the morning!

Kels ~ I highly recommend it: no birthday required!

Vixen ~ I am into flavored cappuccinos lately...they are so yum.

11:29 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

The bakery in Chicago is called Southport Grocery and Cafe. The vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting are the best. ever.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home