Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, September 24, 2007


"It is the new pupil..." ~ Jane Eyre

I do not miss being around students.

I don't have to.

I am surrounded by students each day in my office and love each and every one of them. They are my department's work study hires and program ambassadors.

As I left teaching high school, I admit to losing a great deal of hope in our future generations. The past three weeks I have gained it back and then some; the students that surround me daily are very special individuals, indeed.

My work study students make my work day even brighter than it already is. There is Remmy, who is a freshman with one cool Jamaican accent. He is the most polite and kind person I have ever met, and all of my colleagues and I fight over who gets him in the office that day. I have worked with him a few times and its a blast. I put on reggae as we work in hopes that he comes to me first when he reports in.

The three that work directly under me are all amazing young women. Yenny works two jobs to pay for school, yet still shows up early to work with a smile on her face. Kaina is a shy freshman who I admit to babying a bit; I am always feeding her because she is too skinny. Shar is my favorite to talk to. This girl knows her politics, so we discuss it often. This afternoon we agreed that Obama is hot, both literally and figuratively. She told me that this is the first presidential election she is voting in and she can't wait. I don't think she had any idea how much her excitement to vote would affect the rest of my day; she made it special because of that comment.

The program ambassadors are a bunch of powerhouses who, ironically, helped to train me when I arrived a month ago! I am so proud that they represent the university - their values and sense of integrity are apparent each time I interact with them. They are more like peers and less like students who work under us.

So I do not miss my students...I have new ones who, ironically, give more to me then I feel I give to them. As hard as that is, I know life is about give and take. Right now I need to take their positive attitudes and special souls to reawaken my ability to give. Give it a few months, because I am heading back to take classes and become a college librarian so I can be there for students in the most important way I can think of in the world of Academia...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

A librarian, huh? I always wanted to be a librarian. My dad still tries to convince me to become one. All of those BOOKS! I might not be able to do my job. ;)

Best of luck with that, Sweetness.

:)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

Heartwarming post. Did me some good. It's tough to keep in mind that there are youth out there willing to work hard and contribute to society when you work with kids who are opportunistic and unappreciative all day long.

Glad you're doing well. I'm also a little jealous ;-)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Sounds wonderful. Makes me want to go back to school just remembering when I was the one working so hard to make it through.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

You're really transitioning well. That is really exciting. I'm so excited for you and all of the students that work for you!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, are these trees really at your campus? It's one of the prettiest fall pictures I've ever seen. Over here, fall tends to be wet and grey. But last week we had one of these beautiful fall days, with a bright blue sky behind the redish trees.
I'm glad to hear that you restored your faith in students. It must be bliss to see that there is a whole different, motivating and inspiring world outside the classroom.

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home