Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Thursday, November 29, 2007

"My sisters will be your sisters..." ~ Jane Eyre


During senior year of high school when my sister and I worked on productions together, my drama director would sing a bar from the tune that Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen made famous as the Haynes sisters...along with their big blue ostrich feathers...in the film White Christmas. We were usually arguing about something, so he belted the tune out with a smirk on his face, which then made us laugh, and then we let the argument go. (Though it would usually resurface an hour or so later...)

And if you are wondering if we got his reference, oh yes indeed. That was one of my favorite Christmas films as a child. Even at a young age, I truly valued the ending because of what I knew about my grandfathers' serving in World War II. It didn't take much to understand how much of a hero the General was in the film for getting all of his men, Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye included, home alive.

I have spent all 28 Christmas mornings with my sister, and this year is the first Christmas I shall not see her Christmas Day. Oh, its all lovely things. She has decided to have an old fashioned English Christmas with our family friends in Britain. I am thrilled for her, and for them, and I know she is going to revel in the delightful aspects of Christmas across the pond. I recognize how spoiled I am in many ways, because this is a vacation after all and she isn't moving or anything! Still, I feel a bit melancholy about it. Kind of like how Rosemary Clooney felt a bit melancholy when she went to New York without Vera Ellen who stayed behind in Vermont.

And in an ironic twist, such as the ironic plot twists in White Christmas, I am upset because I do not get the same ending as the General. He gets his soldiers back and celebrates Christmas with them all. I do not get my soldier back...he is in the red zone south of Baghdad this holiday and not with me and my family. I don't even know if I will get to talk to him. I haven't heard his voice since September - just erratic emails and IM's here and there since he is so engrossed in the amazing work his brigade is doing.

So this Christmas Day I will not have my sister with me, or one of my best friends. So I am going to just dream of a white Christmas for next year, knowing I will have the two of them with me that day just like the ones I used to know.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

yes, you'll miss those who are gone, but i bet you will also treasure those who have stayed put.
we also have a soldier where your soldier is. he's not coming home for xmas either..:(.

8:49 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Indeed, Foam. My Jack isnt going anywhere, and no Christmas is blue so long as he is with me!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I'm with you. It is all exciting because it is different and so sad because it is different too. How funny that we posted about the same thing today. Kindred spirits!

10:01 PM  
Blogger twobuyfour said...

That's one of my FAVORITE Christmas movies! It's hard to go wrong with a cast like that.

I wish you all the best in surviving this lonely holiday without your loved ones. I know what it's like. I always miss my family on the west coast on the years I don't get to go back there. It doesn't really feel like Christmas without the people and traditions I grew up with.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

It is hard when Christmas traditions (or any traditions for that matter) change...esp. when it means certain people are not around. That is probably the hardest...but I think you hit the nail on the head; this situation isn't for keeps...just for December 2007! I hope your solider is safe...

8:25 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

There comes a time when it changes. It hurts. You need to find something new, though. Just one new thing. For me it was a new ornament for "our" tree. One ornament a person. Now, almost 14 years, three children, and as of a few days ago two dogs later...Wow..what a tree. :) New memories with the old ones so close.
xoxo
C

10:13 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Great Things About Christmas and the Holidays

1) Celebrating God, who gives us all so much, like family and friends.
2) A tree with as many lights and ornaments as possible
3) Hot coffee on a cold Christmas morn
4) Seeing little baby boys unwrap gifts for the first time
5) Snowmen
6) Silver Bells
7) Christmas tunes (Mannheim Steamroller ROCKS!)
8) Charlie Brown's Christmas
9) Stockings for our babies (pets)
10) Angels-watching over us!

Happy Holidays, Amy!

;) Love you!

4:25 PM  
Blogger b said...

i love that movie! I would recommend a good sit down with some cocoa and watch the rudolph, grinch and charlie brown xmas classics. It will help keep the season bright while your sweeties are away. And as ryane said, it is just for 2007. Hang in there!

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the days of decorating the basement and watching White Christmas :) Those dresses def still rock! I will miss you very much as well my htb and will make sure to call you at 7am instead of poking you to get up for Christmas - hehe. Love you xoxoxo

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home