Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, September 30, 2007


"Get the tea ready..." ~ Jane Eyre

I am sitting here sipping African red rooibos herbal tea and missing Moo badly.

She gave me the tea before she left for Uganda...you can read about all of her adventures here:
http://ngogo.blogspot.com/

One of my favorite adventures this summer was a day spent with Moo. I got to borrow her brand new field binoculars and we went bird watching at Sands Point Preserve. I pretended that we were out in the fields of Africa and knew I would love spending a week out in the field with her for her work. On the way back to my place, she played me a CD of monkey noises she had recorded last year when she did preliminary work; it was a mesmerizing cacophony to hear. I would love to spend a week out in the field with her. I don't know if I can afford the plane ticket to Uganda, so I get depressed and miss her.

After our bird watching excursion on that day, we went back to my place and made Caribbean food; the recipes were from the Walkerswood Cookbook: http://www.walkerswood.com/
We made cacique burgers that had chopped peppers in the meat; after they were grilled on the bbq, they were topped with grilled pineapple. Moo made veggies with a rundown sauce that was perfect with the burgers. Some of the Walkerswood condiments are in my fridge that were leftover, and I get depressed whenever I look at the side door items; I miss her.

I met Moo over ten years ago at Harvard University. I went up to visit J. Sarah our freshman year of college. J. Sarah was in a class when I arrived. She sent Moo to meet me. I knew that she was one awesome woman: within a half hour of my walking into their dorm room in Holworthy, we were on the floor discussing theology. Mind you, I had met her 30 minutes prior, and we were metaphorically knee-deep in conversation about the subject. Of course she was also an amazing woman in my eyes because I found out she loved the following: chocolate, puppies, good coffee, dancing, red wine, and, most importantly, sarcasm.

Before she left, J. Sarah and I did a last supper with her at UFC (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/07/dining/07fried.html?_r=1&oref=slogin) in Jackson Heights; I hope that time goes by quickly and the three of us find ourselves back there again drinking stouts, eating the best fried chicken, making sarcastic jokes, and hearing good stories about Moo being out in the field...

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

your friend sounds like she is on an adventure indeed. but, then again, so are you.
i think i'm gonna make myself a hot cup of tea before i retire. not african red rooibos tea but perhaps a nice chamimile. you've inspired me.
here's to good friends and a great reunion sometime in the future.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see you're back! Missing friends is one of the worst feelings. At the same time, the longing can be comforting. It stresses the beauty of the friendship and makes the time after being reunited even more special.
After having said goodbye to many friends that moved abroad, at some point I decided to give up on friendship altogether because it meaned saying goodbye in the end. But I soon found out that nobody can live without friends, even if the goodbye hurts.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

If you're ever in need of bird watching, then I'm your girl. I have sooooo many around my cozy cottage. I need to get some on film. :)

I'm so glad you're posting.

8:47 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

I'm sipping Earl Grey with Bergamot and Raspberry. The majority of my lifelong friends do not live in the same city as I do, and it's always bittersweet.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

You're sarcastic?

???

Why have I not seen this? Considering I live for sarcasm?

(smiles)

Just wanted to say thanks for the assignment. You should give me these all the time! See, you can still feel like you have students (high schoolish ones, at that!), and I can be inspired to write creatively again.

Thanks again, Ms. K!

ps Sarcastic? haha You're too nice to be sarcastic. ;)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Sounds like a wonderful friendship and such an adventurer! The stories she has must be amazing! :)

12:41 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Those sound like good times. Maybe a trip to Uganda is in your future!

5:01 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Foam ~ Chamomile is probably my all time favorite tea. :)

FT ~ I am definitely feeling it...I expect her to be home soon and it just wont happen. I do hope somehow I get there.

TG ~ Oooo you are so lucky to be surrounded by birdies! Thanks for your kind words, as always!

Shannon ~ Now THAT sounds like some great tea!

(S)martypants ~ Oh yes, the sarcasm is there! Even Jane was sarcastic to Rochester once in a while. :)

Vixen ~ Oh yes, she is one awesome woman!

Kels ~ I really hope so! xoxo

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home