Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Raven-black, and so becomingly arranged..." ~ Jane Eyre

A few weeks ago the Prince and I made a pact to re-read the entire Harry Potter series together and then watch the films together after each book and discuss. We have completed Book I and are into Book II and shall watch the first film together this weekend. One of the conversations we already had was what house we would be in if we were Hogwart students. There is a small song sung by the sorting hat in chapter seven of the first book where the hat describes the characteristics of the students in each house. My Prince would certainly be placed in Gryffindor by the hat: "You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve, and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart." Well, I refer to him as my Prince and knight-in-shining armor for a reason, and he would certainly be a part of that house without question. (Of course there is a little Slytherin in both of us, but that is what makes for fun in a relationship.) We then discussed my placement, and it was agreed that I would probably be a student in Ravenclaw: "Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, If you've a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind."

So its a damp, rainy, and lazy Autumn Saturday afternoon and I am sipping coffee and eating chunks of fresh challah bread and browsing Harry Potter-related websites. First I look for scarves - a website sells scarves with the crest for all the houses, Ravenclaw included in lovely dark blue stripes. When we watch the second and third movies, I want to make recipes from the book to eat and drink as we watch. Some recipes I found included ones for pumpkin pasties and butter beer. Pumpkin pasties are basically savory pumpkin hot pockets and the main interpretation of butter beer is butterscotch schnapps and cream soda. I must admit that some of my favorite descriptions in J.K. Rowling's books are when she talks of the feasts and banquets at Hogwarts. Dumbledore is a man after my own heart, for at the end of book II, he calls for a feast to celebrate with a mentality I share: We came, we battled, we won...lets eat!

Of course we are also counting down the months until 2010 when The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens at Universal Orlando. I already know I am going to start working overtime to save for that trip and make it special for the Prince after he finishes his LLM and the exam that goes along with it. I have been on the website frequently and must admit that the restaurant descriptions there excite me just as much as the attraction descriptions!

http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/

http://www.harrygear.com/index.html

http://www.britta.com/hogwarts/recipes.html

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger moi said...

I love how you two have so much fun together! I have also made a pact – with myself – to read all the Harry Potters. I feel like a total idiot not having done so.

2:56 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

just came by to say hi. ive never read a harry potter book. but it sounds like good fall entertainment. thank you for your comments at K9's im burnt out will replay later. enjoy sunday. you've got a prince. ive got a king struggling to hold his kingdom together - his goodness and generosity cannot insulate him from a world where fraud is rewarded.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

My 9 year old nephew is re-reading them and I've never picked one up. I'm with Moi, I like the way you and your Prince set goals together... and like K9 I have a King right now battling to keep his kingdom safe. Without sounding too old... can I just say... cherish these times. :-) xoxo.

6:22 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

i've read all the harry potter books .. great fun! i've usually read them at the beach ..
my king has read nary a one .. well maybe parts of one as he was reading to our youngest..
..and ditto what a. boxer and k9 said about their kings ..
mine is in the same position..

8:53 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

I re-read the whole series when the final book cam out in order to remember all of the details. What a fun thing to do together!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home