Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, September 28, 2008




"I remember it now, and I know that it was the effluence of fine intellect, of true courage..." ~ Jane Eyre


The conversation about character ensued once again yesterday between me and the Prince. The Prince told me he was rethinking my placement, and expressed to me that perhaps I should also be in Gryffindor since...well...there is a lot of Hermione in me. At first I scoffed at this. Me? But then realized the fact that my Friday nights spent in the Hofstra University library studying was not going to help me in this argument. Nor were the facts of my bookish ways, sense of confidence, and corrective ways when it comes to instructing others. Still, I thought I belonged in Ravenclaw, so I took four different Harry Potter personality quizzes online this morning to confirm that. It confirmed something, all right.


I am Hermione.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night the Prince and I decided to stay in and watch the first film, and after we got off the phone I had some ideas in my head to surprise him with and make it a special evening. First, my goal was to have butterbeer and pumpkin pie for dessert. Then I started thinking about how fun it would be to decorate a bit and use plates and napkins as part of that. Then I started thinking even more about decorating, and this is what I did:

- put a black light in my floor lamp

- lit candles everywhere

- placed spider tablecloth on table along with matching spider plates and cups

- decorated table with fake eyeballs

- purchased clear skeleton mugs for butterbeer

- got Griffyndor scarf and Harry glasses to put on the Prince as a surprise

We decided to get comfort food from our favorite local pub as takeout - burgers and spinach and artichoke dip. I had Beck's Oktoberfest beer and Smutty Nose Pumpkin Ale in my refrigerator. I also had gone to the liquor store to get Butterscotch Schnapps to make butterbeer. When he arrived, I closed the door so he couldn't see what I had done and told him to close his eyes. I led him in and then placed the scarf and glasses on him and had him open his eyes. It was a wonderful evening and I am excited to continue our plans to read the books and watch the films together. As for the butterbeer, we both loved it: one part butterscotch schnapps on ice to four parts vanilla cream soda. Mmmmm.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger pve design said...

Devil may cares at your place.
Sounds simply wonderful.
A playful spirit keep a heart young.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

hoo whoo. a'll is havin' a lot of fun up thar' Gonna try that butter beer recipe.

1:38 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

you are putting me in the mood for fall decorating .. :)
and butter beer .. sounds yummy ..

4:29 PM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

I am not a Harry Potter fanatic, but this sounds like a ton of fun! And, the food and drinks? Oh yeah.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

You are so creative, I would never have thought up something so wonderful!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

You are too damn cute.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home